Are any of the following familiar to you?
- Frequent morning headaches or headaches that progress throughout the day
- A clicking, popping, or grating sound when you chew or when you simply open your mouth
- Pain or tenderness in your jaw or anywhere in your face including your neck or ears
- A tired feeling in your face, where it just feels like effort to make facial expressions
- Toothaches, headaches, ringing in the ears, or hearing problems
- Jaws that lock in position and are painful or impossible to “unlock”
If any of these are familiar to you, you may suffer from Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMD).
Chronic jaw pain, tension headaches, and joint issues can wreak havoc on your smile and quality of life if left untreated. Dr. Travis Schwarz, DMD, of Riverheart Family Dentistry carries special knowledge and training in treating TMD and the associated problems within the muscles, tissues, and bones of the jaw joint.
It is important to get to the root of the issue when diagnosing TMD. While teeth grinding is the leading cause of TMD, habitual gum chewing, fingernail biting, stress, trauma to the jaws, and other factors can also lead to this oral health concern. Aside from the discomfort associated with symptoms of TMD, left untreated TMD can also be the cause of other oral issues. Worn down teeth, gum disease, malocclusion, and even tooth loss can be associated with severe cases of TMD that were not treated in a timely and effective manner.
If jaw pain, frequent headaches, or previously diagnosed TMD is disrupting your daily function, contact Riverheart Family Dentistry today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Schwarz. Our family dental practice is equipped to address all aspects of your oral health, and we offer specialized treatments for patients who suffer from TMD. You do not have to continue to go through life uncomfortable and at-risk for oral health issues. Call Riverheart Family Dentistry today to schedule an appointment and find relief from TMD.